Display friends
by Adrian Thomas

An Open Letter to My Friends From Back Home

By Adrian Thomas - Dec 25 2015

To my friends from back home: 

Considering the fact it is winter break/the holidays for a lot of us right now and we're all back visiting and catching up with one another, I just want to take a moment to reflect on first semester and, even though I may not be around some of you as much anymore, let you all know how much you mean to me, and how our friendships have made such a positive impact on my adjustment to college life. 

First semester of college has been nothing short of great. I've made new friends with amazing people and have had so much opportunity to get involved. My perspectives have changed immensely, as I am in a diverse environment with people from all walks of life. However so much of my success and happiness can be attributed to the love and support I have received from you all since we became close during high school. You all have been supportive of my hopes and aspirations since day one, and that has meant more than you know. By senior year of high school, I knew who my real friends were because you all had shown that you would be there for me no matter what. And believe me, there were points in senior year where I was so happy and fortunate to have you on my side. When I transitioned into college, I was extremely excited and optimistic, and I felt even more confident about moving into this next phase of my life knowing you all would still be there. 

Even though our paths after high school have taken us to different places around the country (and world), I just want you all to know that you will always have a special place in my life. You guys have been a part of my motivation to pursue what I am passionate about, and stay true to myself no matter what.  Yes, we may not be around each other all the time now, but we are all out pursuing what we have been eagerly talking to each other about for the past several years, and that's amazing. Let's let these exciting paths we're all on now bring us closer, not apart. We're all going to meet new people down the road and make new friends, however you guys were there for me from the beginning, and I will never forget that. 

So let's enjoy the time we have together this winter break and reflect on where we have been and where we are going, because we all have exciting times ahead of us. I can't wait to see where our lives will take us in the future. 

Yours Truly,

Adrian Thomas - Boston University

Adrian Thomas is a student at Boston University majoring in broadcast journalism and minoring in Spanish. He enjoys traveling, playing tennis, and obsessing over high-end coffee. Follow him on Twitter @AdrianBThomas or on Instagram @adrianb_thomas.