Display 2016 election
by Adrian Thomas

7 Reasons All College Students Should Vote in 2016

By Adrian Thomas - Jan 08 2016

1.  College Tuition

Regardless of which candidate or party you support, the outcome in this election will ultimately decide how college tuition in America is going to be handled in the upcoming years. Some candidates believe the college system is in need of a vast reform, while others believe tuition should be left alone to the universities. It is a pressing issue for college students and their families, and it's an issue worth checking out all of the candidates' stances towards. 

2. Civil Rights

2015 marked a momentous year for civil rights, and it is only going to keep growing and evolving as an issue in the years to come. Same-sex marriage was legalized nationwide this past summer with the decision being upheld by the Supreme Court in the landmark case, Obergefell v. Hodges, and cities all around the country followed suit by passing ordinances that prohibited discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. In different areas such as race, new issues were brought to the forefront with protests on college campuses concerning racism in America. All of these events definitely will play into the election this year, and it is important to note how candidates go about addressing these issues. 

3. Employment 

The next president will inherit a recovering economy as well as an unemployment rate that has been declining the past several years. This all matters to us in college right now because we are the ones who will be searching for jobs in the next few years, if we're not already doing so. The way the next presidential candidate plans on handling the economy will be an important factor in determining the job market in the future. 

4. We're One of the Largest Voting Blocs 

Millennials are one of the largest generational groups in the United States right now and that comprises all of us in college. We have the power to decide elections however, in the midterm elections of 2014 millennials had one of the lowest turnouts out of any major voting bloc.  So why aren't more of us voting? Well there is much debate around that issue, but the bottom line is that if we all show up to vote, we will have a great deal of influence on who gets elected into office. 

5. Climate Change

Recently, the United States participated in the 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference and agreed along with 195 other countries to certain standards to curtail climate change in the coming years. All of us have long lives ahead of us, and it is going to be important to elect a president that recognizes the global issue of climate change, and also raises awareness within the rest of America to take steps to combat climate change to ensure a sustainable Earth in the future.  

6. Become More Informed During the Process

Voting in the next election will not only allow you to individually contribute to shaping the political climate in America, but you will also become more informed during the process because listening to different candidates share their platforms will allow you to hear various sides of issues and encourage you to do your own research and ultimately come to a conclusion. The world is evolving faster than ever before, and more interconnected than any other time period in human history, so being as informed as you can on major issues will give you an edge in many areas. 

7. It kind of just makes sense that college students should vote...

College campuses have historically been the catalysts for some of the major change seen in this country. College students have and still are outspoken about hot political issues, so let that passion reflect with a successful voter turnout in this next election. Ultimately, voting is one of the most effective methods in which civilians can exercise political power, and it's a privilege we are fortunate to have. Therefore, let this be an incentive to make your voice heard in the 2016 election and beyond. 

Lead Image Credit: History Hub 

Adrian Thomas - Boston University

Adrian Thomas is a student at Boston University majoring in broadcast journalism and minoring in Spanish. He enjoys traveling, playing tennis, and obsessing over high-end coffee. Follow him on Twitter @AdrianBThomas or on Instagram @adrianb_thomas.