Display princeimdb
by A. T. Thomas

My First Semester of College as Told by Prince

By A. T. Thomas - Dec 25 2016

My first semester was something special. It had its ups and downs, adjustments, surprises (good and bad) and funny moments. Overall, though, I have to say it was filled with a few pretty solid months, but I'll allow the late great Purple Yoda himself, Prince, to highlight some of the major moments.

Giving my first class presentation:

The first time I woke up late to my 8 a.m. class but went anyway:

When the woman working in the dining hall said to me, "Wow, this is your fifth time in here today — you must be a growing boy!":

My first time seeing a huge group of drunk people walk around campus:

Getting ready to "go out" for the first time, and hating it:

Professor comes into class with tests wondering if everyone is prepared and asks, "So no one saw the midterm scheduled for today on the syllabus?":

After a month of eating at the dining hall:

When professors suggest we dedicate two hours of studying for each hour of class:

Wondering if I really wanted to audition for a show:

"A.T., how did you get a 86% on that test without studying?":

"Hey, is the final cumulative or not?":

As you can see, it's been quite a semester. I've learned a lot in this short amount of time about myself, other people, independence, risks and more. Somehow, I've managed to find my place on campus, make a few friends and get less sleep than I did in high school. I survived taking three science courses, a Chinese philosophy course, a play and discovered that the major I thought I wanted to pursue wasn't all I thought it was. It was a very interesting but special series of months. However, I wouldn't have traded this semester for anything, and I'm ready for the next one. Dear college, "Nothing Compares 2 U."

Lead Image Credit: Fox Broadcasting Company

A. T. Thomas - Connecticut College

Introvert, photographer. From the suburbs of Chicago. I love The Office and short walks on the beach.