Display pexels photo 203237  1
by A. T. Thomas

Advice to a Burned-Out High School Senior

By A. T. Thomas - Jan 08 2017

Senior year. The somewhat dreaded year of applying to schools. It's tough. You're anxious, sleep-deprived and you've checked out. Believe it or not, you're still a "kid," whether you want to admit it or not. No matter how independent you might tell yourself you are, or how "mature" people tell you that you are, there are still of ton of childish and immature things you can't shake. Regardless of what you might think, maturity is a product of experiences, not age. Whatever the case is, something could be blocking you from, dare I say, "finding yourself." 

Let's walk through how this year has been going for you.

During the first semester, you've been debating on taking the ACT again, trying to enjoy what you're told is "the best year of your high school career," and trying to still remain on top of your academics. You worry every day about what schools you'll get into, or if you'll even get in anywhere. Sometimes, you contemplate not going to college at all to avoid debt. You think a single C- on a paper will completely destroy your GPA and no college will ever accept you. On the other hand, Senioritis is slowly creeping through your veins, making you slightly lazy and not passionate about anything. You're burned out.  

If I'm even somewhat accurate, take heed to my advice.

1. Hang in There

It's definitely not as terrible of a year as you think. Enjoy every minute, because once you graduate, this stage of your life is officially over, and the new stage is a whole new world.

2. Try to Avoid Laziness

Senioritis is real. Once you get accepted into your school, you feel like the second semester has no purpose. I get it, but you gotta finish strong. Colleges check your second-semester grades too.

3. Create Memories

Sooner rather than later you'll be in a new place, forced to make new friends. Try not to let this year pass you by. Step out of your comfort zone, have some fun with the people you love before that time passes.

4. Sleep

This might be the hardest one because by this time you've gotten used to not getting enough sleep, but now is the time to train your body correctly. Set a homework limit for yourself, and go to sleep at that time to ensure you're at least getting six hours. Work on napping too, it'll be useful soon.

5. Keep the Future in Mind

Often times, our knowledge of the future motivates us to get through our present situation or state. So think about the independence you'll have or the parties you'll attend to get you through your last semester of high school.

Remember that this time of year (second semester) is just as important as any other, especially since colleges and universities do a final grade check your last semester. Don't freak out, try to minimize your stress and simply enjoy your last few months. Congratulations, you've (almost) made it!

Lead Image Credit: Pexels via Unsplash

A. T. Thomas - Connecticut College

Introvert, photographer. From the suburbs of Chicago. I love The Office and short walks on the beach.