Display  sam2479
by Zehra Naqvi

5 Unique Dessert Shops Near The UC Berkeley Campus

By Zehra Naqvi - Mar 07 2017

Every college has its quirks. It may be the campus' architecture or great weather. But one aspect that every student can appreciate is the food, especially sweet foods. Desserts are blessing altogether, however, having one unique to your college makes it a thousand times better. It also makes the dessert worth the price.

Here are some locations to check out in Berkeley to enhance not only your Instagram feed but also your taste buds. These desserts shops are either only in Berkeley or have signatures for Cali itself.

1. Golden Bear Waffles

Zehra Naqvi

Little Gem Belgian Waffles is a small waffle shop on Berkeley's Telegraph Avenue. Customers can make their own waffles or pick from one of the shop's signature waffles, one of which is specifically named after Berkeley's mascot: The Golden Bear. This treat is a fluffy yet crisp "churroffle" with a gently spread of Creme de Gem with freshly cut banana slices. Having a waffle name after you? That's mascot goals.

2. Custom Vegan Cinnamon Buns 

Zehra Naqvi

Just on the edge of campus, Cinnaholics is a shop that offers vegan, made-to-order cinnamon buns. They have a variety of icing options such as cake batter and cream cheese in addition to toppings such as cookie dough and apples. No matter the time of the day, you can never go wrong with these cinnamon buns.

3. Endless Funnel Cakes

Zehra Naqvi

Endless Summers Sweet is a vibrant dessert shop in Downtown Berkeley. To accompany its freshly popped kettle corn and funnel cakes, it also has the atmosphere of a bright carnival with the mix of a festive street market. All their funnel cakes can be topped with anything from fruit to confetti candy. You can forget the troubles of school and escape to a fun carnival with savory deep fried food. 

4. Fish Cone Ice Cream

Zehra Naqvi

Who said fish can't walk on land? Uji Time has made the impossible possible. It is a current pop-up Japanese fusion dessert shop. It offers amazing desserts like mochi to tofu flavored soft serve. They also offer Taiyaki, a fish shaped cake, as a cone. The dessert tastes amazing and it's "fishing" fantastic for your Instagram feed.

5. The Original Yogurt

Zehra Naqvi

Yogurt Park is a Berkeley classic. Since 1977, the yogurt shop has been offering reasonably priced yogurt right by campus. It's the perfect midnight snack or can be a great reward after attending all your lectures. But best of all, they put your toppings in and on your froyo!

Every college campus has hidden gems. Luckily, Berkeley has some of the sweetest ones. 

Lead Image Credit: Zehra Naqvi

Zehra Naqvi - University of California, Berkeley

UC Berkeley Student | Staff Writer