by Zehra Naqvi

#TIMESUP College Edition: Gender Wage Gap

By Zehra Naqvi - Feb 11 2018

You may have heard about the TIME'S UP movement from famous faces such as Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washingston. The initiative is to provide awareness and resources for women facing discrimination, harassment or sexual assault in the workplace. This movement is also incredibly relevant and important for college students, who will be newly entering the work force and encountering these work prejudices. For instance, the gender gap pay has increased from 20 cents in 1963 to 80 cents currently, despite America's 1963 Equal Pay Act. And, that does not account for the further discrimination faced by women of color. According to the Institute for Women's Policy Research, the overall pay equity in America will not be achieved until 2059

There are many debates in Congress for specific legislations but at this point in time nothing has been executed. As the next generation of workers, it's our job to say #TIMESUP on gender bias and gender wage gap. Here are some unequal pay facts directly affecting college students and university faculty:

In 2016, 30% of college presidents were women though 57% of college students are women

Though the majority of college students are female, individuals representing universities are overwhelmingly white men. In fact, 45% of Presidents themselves believe one of the greatest occupation obstacles is their faculty's resistance to change. Women not having a seat in the university system eliminates the perspective of the campus majority.

Women faculty are disadvantaged for tenure

You can view the statistics here

1 out of 10 women professors hold the status of full faculty professors. The lack of female representation in higher ranks limits the influence of females, and stops them from pursuing higher academic roles in college systems despite female professors dedicating more service than men in academia.

Females one year after college earn 82% less than males 

Females are paid significantly less than their male peers straight out of college, meaning both may have the same GPA or experience in a specific occupation yet there is still discrimination. Gender bias has played a significant role, leading to 7% of employers with an unexplained salary difference. 

Women’s total earnings loss compared to men is $1.2 million as a college graduate and $2 million as a professional school graduate. 

Female college students work as hard as their male peers and deserve the appropriate compensation. This extreme wage loss affects the overall economy as the money could have been used to pay student loans or feed more families.

The gender pay gap is insulting to all women, especially college women who overcome the same academic obstacles as their male peers.  The clock has run out and it's time for the next generation of workers to end the gender pay gap.

You can donate to TIME'S UP movement to help today's employed women facing discrimination or abuse in their workplace. If you'd also like to support closing the wage gap, check out American Association of University of Women to rally for Fair Pay Act of 2017 currently debated in Congress.

Zehra Naqvi - University of California, Berkeley

UC Berkeley Student | Staff Writer