by Zehra Naqvi

8 July Holidays You Forget To Celebrate

By Zehra Naqvi - Jul 05 2017

We're raised to believe there are only a handful of holidays throughout the year. Summer, ironically the largest vacation for many young adults, has the least amount of holidays. But if you want to have a great excuse to celebrate some days in July or post some funny photos with the common #______day, here are a few.

1. July 10: Teddy Bear Picnic Day

This holiday is great for all ages from lovers to kids. Kids can have a tea party, and adults can have a great gift for their date. There is also a song that you can listen to that was originally created in 1907 called "Teddy Bears' Picnic.

2. July 13: Embrace Your Geekness Day

Today's the day to take goofy photos with epic suspenders, read a bunch of comics or start a new software application to later rule the world. Ultimately, this day is to be you and relinquish your inner geek about whatever you love to do. 

3. July 14: National Nude Day

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable in your own nude skin. There are various ways to properly appreciate this day. Visit some museums and admire ancient sculptures, support the #freethenipple campaign, wear a new nude lipstick or simply go nude. Most importantly, just do you.

4. July 15: Cow Appreciation Day

Cows are a pretty dominant factor in our economy. Though they are known for their "mooing" sound as well as milk, cows can provide life. In fact, every cow creates four full-time jobs in local communities.  On this day, you can donate to various organizations. One in particular is Heifer International. Your money can provide one poor, hungry family with a cow, helping them to nourish themselves and create their own source of income. Or you can work with PETA's effort to eliminate the cruel treatment on dairy farms to sell more milk. 

5. July 18: National Caviar Day

Caviar is internal eggs of the Sturgeon fish. It takes about more than 20 years for these fish to produce their eggs. Basically, it takes the time of one human being to finish their bachelor academic career to get hold of this delicacy. The most expensive caviar, recorded by Guinness World Records, was $34,500.

6. July 21: Junk Food Day

An excuse to cruise through many fast food drive-thrus. From classic McDonald fries to Doritos tacos from Taco Bell, you should splurge and eat to your heart's content, to respectfully celebrate this holiday. 

7. July 24: Amelia Earhart Day

Some break glass ceilings while others go above the altitudes. Though her death is still a mystery, Amelia Earhart will not be forgotten as she has opened the doors of aviation for women today. Reflect upon the barriers you want to break and conquer them no matter the consequences. As Earhart herself said, “Flying may not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.”

8. July 27: Take Your Pants for a Walk Day

Forget the workout leggings or shorts, this day is to get some fresh air in denim. Go outside and admire, enjoy nature in your usual attire. But if you want to be literal, make sure your leash is long enough to walk your pants, preferably old jeans, properly. 

Enjoy these surprising holidays you may have forgotten this July. Some may seem cheesy or out right ridiculous, but everything and everyone deserves some sort of appreciation. Have fun celebrating!

Zehra Naqvi - University of California, Berkeley

UC Berkeley Student | Staff Writer | Politics Writer