by Zehra Naqvi

How Do College Students Feel About Disney Channel's 'That's So Raven' Spinoff?

By Zehra Naqvi - Jun 13 2017

Currently, the entertainment industry has been producing spinoffs and even sequels for Millennials' favorite past shows and movies such as Fuller House to High School Musical 4. To many, it seems great to see one's favorite character come back to life and continue their story. But is it better to leave our fond childhood memories of these TV show and movies untouched? Or does bringing these productions back evoke a great sense of nostalgia? 

This week, college students were asked how they felt about Disney Channel's new released trailer for That's So Raven's spinoff show, Raven's Home. The trailer was recently published on Disney Channel's Youtube page Friday June 2, 2017. The show does include old cast members such as Raven Symone, who plays the protagonist Raven, and Anneliese van der Pol, playing her original character as Raven's friend, Chelsea. However, it is not entirely confirmed whether previous members of the cast will be making an appearance. The premise of the story is about Raven's kids, as well as Chelsea's. 

Here's how seven college kids feel about the reboot. 

1. Namoos Rizvi — Freshman, UC San Diego

"No, [I don't like it], because it ruins the originality of the show before."

2. Sukhmony Brar — Sophomore, UC Berkeley

"I like the idea that certain shows will only be remembered in the hearts of a single generation. It makes the shows feel more rare and special. Remaking old shows or 'reviving' them is a sign of laziness, that the entertainment industry lacks creativity. Moreover, it gives off an uncaring vibe; the industry doesn't care enough to provide young viewers with new, unique shows."

3. Marcella Mora — Sophomore, UC Riverside

"I think it’s a good idea that Disney is bringing back old shows but I hope they make it as good or close to as good as the old one. I don’t want the new ones to ruin what I liked so much as a kid."

4. Sasha Seagull — Sophomore, UC Irvine

"I'd say it's a bad thing because no one really cares about the new characters, we want a continuation of the old show, which obviously can't totally happen because the actors are adults now. It would be better for them to just do a special reunion episode rather than a whole new series."

5. Narjis Syed — Junior, Loyola University Chicago

"I think it's a good idea because a lot of fans who are older might wanna watch it and people are always complaining about missing the 'old Disney.' It creates hype around the spinoff because older fans will talk about it and younger kids might be even more encouraged to watch it."

6. Melissa Mora — Junior, Syracuse University

"The thing about spinoffs is that everyone expects them to parallel the original but often times they don't measure up. That being said, That's So Raven was one of my favorite childhood shows so I'm excited to see what they do with it. I'm glad to see some of the original cast back."

7. Carl Meyers — Senior, UC Berkeley

"I feel like if they do it, they should keep the focus on Raven. No one cares for unfamiliar faces, the kids."

Raven's Home is set to premiere on Disney Channel on July 21, so keep your eyes peeled and your minds open for the new spinoff. Hopefully it lives up to all of our childhood dreams!

Lead Image Credit: Disney Channel

Zehra Naqvi - University of California, Berkeley

UC Berkeley Student | Staff Writer | Politics Writer