by Zehra Naqvi

5 Vegan Makeup Products You Can Get on a College Budget

By Zehra Naqvi - Feb 04 2018

You may have met a couple of people who have gone vegan, leaving dairy and meat in the past. In fact, it's been concluded that the demand for vegan food has increased 140%! Amazingly, a similar reaction has carried over to the world of makeup. Vegan makeup is cruelty-free and includes no animal substances or animal by-product ingredients. This means if a company is cruelty-free but still sells makeup with beeswax or gelatin, it is not vegan approved. 

There are a lot of vegan makeup products, but it takes time to find them, as they're not distinctly labeled in stores or online. But in college, there's little time as it is and little money to spend on items other than food and online streaming subscriptions. Here is a list of the best affordable vegan makeup for every college student.

1. Milani Baked Bronzer Soleli

Price: $7.99

Price $7.99

Get a glowing jawline with Milani's Baked Bronzer Soleli. This vegan product and company was certified as a makeup favorite by the one and only Shay Mitchell and Celebrity Makeup Artist Monika Blunder.

2. Wet n Wild Photo Finish Foundation

Price: $5.99 

Wet n Wild products are of great quality, have low prices and their foundation is one of many. No harm and no foul with any of their makeup lines, as their whole company is vegan.

3. NYX Highlight and Contour Pro Palette

Price $25.00

This professional makeup artist line is proudly vegan with remarkably low prices for every makeup lover. Get defined cheekbones and jawline at one simple price.

4. E.L.F. Baked Highlighter

Price $4.00

Price $4.00

After discontinuing their horsehair makeup brushes, E.L.F. claimed to be vegan and did not disappoint any of their customers. They kept their prices low and quality great.

5. Physicians Formula Instaready Full Coverage Concealer

Price $11.00 

Physicians Formula has completed half the battle by being cruelty-free but is partially vegan, as some of their products do contain lactic acid or beeswax. Luckily, this product meets all the vegan requirements.

6. FLOWER Beauty Flower Pots Powder Blush

Price $9.00

The Allure stamp is confirmation of great results. Though this makeup company is cruelty-free and this specific product has made this list, not all their products are vegan.

7. NYX Matte Lip Cream

Price $6.00

From bold colors to your natural nudes, NYX's lip creams are available in a spectrum of colors at a fantastic, animal-friendly cost.

With progress, maybe the world will have vegan labels, not only in grocery stores but also in makeup aisles.

Zehra Naqvi - University of California, Berkeley

UC Berkeley Student | Staff Writer