Display stevepb
by Zehra Naqvi

7 College Essentials Nobody Tells You About

By Zehra Naqvi - Jun 19 2017

Usually, you'll print out your school's dorm checklist or save a move-in guideline from some website to start gathering items for your first year in the dorms. Extra long twin sheets and a hanging shoe racks are lifesavers, however, some items are not listed because they do not account for a person living their life in the dorms. Lists do not have apps for splitting late night meals or things that can help you save some money. There are tons of items you'll realize you need as you experience new circumstances, but here are seven items that might be good to know beforehand.

1. Phone Adhesive Wallet

You can attach your wallet to your case, but the only problem is that it will then be permanently attached. But with this adhesive case, you will not hold up a cafe or dining hall line searching for your phone that will conveniently be at the bottom of your bag or in between your books. You can have your credit card, ID and money bundled into one place for a reasonably cheap price. Also, this means you don't have to carry a bag all the time as what you need is in one item. If you're worried about your cards falling out, there are also sliding credit card cases you may purchase for a bit more money. 

2. Top Bunk Shelf

If you have a top bunk bed, you might feel on edge to charge your phone next to you. The sheer idea of your phone breaking may be your worst nightmare. As days pass, it might even get kind of annoying to get down from your top bunk to put things away. Luckily, you can purchase a detachable shelf. It is a great investment as it's big and strong enough to hold a 13'' laptop as well as your phone. Because it is hand twisted between the wooden bed frame, the shelf will not leave a mark on your bunk when it is removed.

3. Travel Backpack

Having a smaller bag is good for days when you don't have to carry many items around campus. If you're running errands or going out right after your lectures, a travel backpack is beneficial because of its convenience and light weight. It can hold a few things such as a pen or some snacks for later in the day. 

4. Brita Water Bottle

Brita water bottles purify water instantly. You refill your bottle all over campus without spending a dime. In the dorms, it's convenient to fill up water from the tap or from a fountain rather than dealing with throwing away a bunch of plastic bottles. You can save money and meal points each week with this one time purchase.

5. Power Cord Laptop Charger

Studying at coffee shops or in some areas of the library, you'll realize having a charger that is not bulky and easily plugs into the wall directly makes life easier and less awkward. You don't have to worry your charger will not fit or block another outlet space for someone else. 

6. Venmo

If you ever have to split a bill or ask your roommate to grab some of your groceries, it's easy to pay them back with the app Venmo. Connected to your bank account, Venmo makes getting more or giving money back convenient. You can type who the money is being given to in addition to why you're giving money back. It is also a great way to keep track of who has paid you back as well.

Venmo 

7. SafeTrek 

When exam time rolls around or you have research papers, you'll find yourself leaving the library late at night. You may find yourself walking back to your dorms from a party and might be freaked out to bump into not so nice people. SafeTrek allows you to hold a button until you reach a safe area and then lets you enter your pin code so the police will not be notified. It's an amazing app to keep you safe, especially for those time you might forget to carry your pepper spray at hand.

SafeTrek 

Hopefully you'll remember or jot down these seven items just in case you need them during your college years!

Lead Credit: Pixabay 

Zehra Naqvi - University of California, Berkeley

UC Berkeley Student | Staff Writer