by Zehra Naqvi

6 Healthy Items at UC Berkeley's Bear Market

By Zehra Naqvi - Sep 10 2017

As the year progresses, Bear Market will be one of the few meal plan perks at UC Berkley. Crossroads and Unit 3 Cafe can get kind of boring after you have their food three times a day. Sometimes, you may just be too lazy to walk down to the dining hall — which makes Bear Market's wide variety of food options such as candy and microwavable foods that can be purchased with meal points — so appealing.

If your goal is to be healthy this year and you have a meal plan, you do not have to buy a lot of food from outside markets. Trader Joe's or Whole Foods can be a bit pricey and add up quickly. Stop by Bear Market and you might check off some grocery list items. True, you will not find every single healthy item, but saving some money and the convenience is better than nothing. Here are six healthy foods you can get with a Cal ID swipe at Bear Market.

1. Woodstock Organic Peanut Butter

Zehra Naqvi

Peanut butter is a great source of protein and is a healthy fat, meaning it will give you an energy boost while also filling your stomach. Also, Woodstock's jar has 0% added sugars in addition to sodium. 

2. Puffins Cinnamon Cereal

Zehra Naqvi

Puffins cereal is a healthy cereal because of their natural ingredients. Not only is it 90 calories per serving size, but it also has 0% saturated fat and cholesterol. Also, it is full of Vitamin C.

3. Trophy Farms Cashews and Almonds

Zehra Naqvi

Almonds and cashews are great healthy alternatives for snacks like cookies and chips. Both are easy to carry around campus and can last throughout the day. In addition, Trophy Farms almonds and cashews both have no oils. The ingredients are as follows: nuts and sea salt.

4. Lesser Evil's Buddha Bowl Avocado-Licious Popcorn

Zehra Naqvi

Avocados have been the rave the past couple of years, to the point where it's now available in popcorn. Unlike other bagged snacks like potato chips, Avocado-Licious only has one gram of sugar and has five grams of fiber. The nutrition facts are understandable and pronounceable words, meaning all ingredients are natural. 

5. Go Lean Kashi

Zehra Naqvi

Not only is Go Lean Kashi perfect for made at home acai bowls, but it's also an energizing breakfast cereal. Both Kashi types have low cholesterol and saturated fats plus nine grams of protein. Overall, these cereals are an amazing alternative to pancakes in the dining halls.

6. Fresh Cut Fruit Cups

Zehra Naqvi

Start your daily dose of fruits (in this case, grapes, cantaloupe and pineapple). Instead of waiting in the long Golden Bear Cafe breakfast line, you can spend your meal points here.  Also, the cups make it easy to grab and go.

If you still are not confident that these options are healthy, and do not take my word for it, feel free to search each product as there are many websites at your disposal. The Bear Market can help you stay healthy inside and out!

Lead Credit: Zehra Naqvi

Zehra Naqvi - University of California, Berkeley

UC Berkeley Student | Staff Writer